Collection of how-to’s guides and other potentially helpful material related to camping, canoeing, hiking and other general items such as how to clear your driveway from snow!
- Calculating actual variable costs for energyAs a discussion related to the economics and cross-over points for dual-fuel heating (natural gas and heat pump) the topic came up how to calculate costs of each energy source. While at first, it may seem obvious, there are a variety of costs that are variable (ie based on how much you consume) that are… Read more: Calculating actual variable costs for energy
- Implementing Dual-Fuel house heating (Heat pump)Looking to upgrade my old Air Conditioner, I decided to go for a dual-fuel heating solution. Heat-pump for cooling and moderate heating with my existing natural gas furnace for heating at low temperatures. Does a Heat-pump work in a colder climate like Ottawa, Ontario, Canada? – YES! Even with a non-cold climate heat pump, about… Read more: Implementing Dual-Fuel house heating (Heat pump)
- Emporia Vue 2 Energy MonitorAs I was switching my house heating to a dual-fuel system (replacing an old AC with a heat-pump and keeping my existing natural gas furnace), I figured it would be a good idea to add an energy monitor to see how much power I was actually using. After shopping around a bit and confirming a… Read more: Emporia Vue 2 Energy Monitor
- A closer look at the Nest thermostatI have been using a Nest in my home for several years and always wondered why certain seemingly simple features are not available. Recently, I decided to take a look at the API to see if I could make them work myself! Update April 3rd 2023 – Added a bit more information on temperature stability… Read more: A closer look at the Nest thermostat
- How to make the best bachelor partyOur group of friends makes the best bachelor parties. Yes, yes some have your typical gentleman’s club aspect but most are much more and quite memorable! Here’s how we do it. Some Basic Rules (I take no credit for them) Bachelor Party is for the friends not the bachelor Both the bachelor & future partner… Read more: How to make the best bachelor party