This is a good warmup drill for practises or games. It consists of multiple rapid shots being fired towards the goaltender with some movement. (A variation on this drill that is a bit more intense is outlined below)
Have all the players line up near the blue line. Each player will take a turn to shoot on the goaltender. The goaltender must make the save and immediately shuffle to stop the next puck.
This drill should be run in both directions.
- Each player has 2 pucks. Once the goaltender has received the first shot from all players, the last player shoots again and the goalie repeats the drill in the reverse direction without breaks.
- Have all the players shoot high or low
- Have the goaltender stay in the butterfly position throughout the drill (using hybrid slides to move)
All Players shoot Alternating
Have all the players line up near the blue line same as above. The goaltender selects one side and faces a shot from the player nearest the boards. The goaltender must then move across his crease as fast as possible to stop a shot from the player at the opposite boards. He then moves back as fast as possible to stop the shot from the player second nearest to the opposite boards and repeats until all shots are fired.
Note: Players should wait for the goaltender to be in motion towards them before shooting (as to not injure him).
- You can have the last shooter come in for a breakaway on the goaltender
- For advanced goaltender, you may have them do this drill in a buttefly (using the hybrid slide to move) however as this drill is demanding this should not be done before a game.