To perform, teams need to collaborate and communicate, be aligned towards the same goal.
- Purpose and Values
- Relationships and Communication
- Optimal Performance
- Recognition and Appreciation
Vision is essential to create a common purpose and point the team in the right direction
Observe in groups
- Communication and participation
- Decision making
- Goals and roles
- Group norms
- Problem solving
- Group climate
- Individual behaviour
Stages of groups
- Everything is new, need to agree on goals, roles, strategies, communication, decisions, each other
- Confusion and frustration around goals, deliverables, roles etc.
- Need to clarify bigger picture and confirm goals etc.
- Growing clarity, better integration of goals, roles etc. building relationships and communication
- Clarity in most items, flexibility, autonomy continuous improvement, celebration of contributions
Leadership styles – adjust to provide the group what it needs (typically stages align with styles)
Leader needs to share control