- To perform the shuffle dig your inside skate edge into the ice with the leg (outside leg) opposite to the direction of travel.
- Transfer all your weight to the outside leg.
- Once this is done, move the inside leg in the direction you want to travel.
- Push off with the outside leg.
- Shift your weight back to normal.
As you improve on this technique, the movement should become fluid, steps 2, 3 and 4 should occur almost simultaneously.
See the goalie drills page, specifically the warmup drills if you want ideas on how to practice this technique
A few points to note:
- Keep both skates facing forward, they should not move from the basic position
- The technique is performed from the basic stance, the goaltender should be ready for a shot at any moment.
- The movement involves only the legs, the upper body should always be facing the puck.
- Skates should always remain in contact with the ice to ensure proper balance.
- SHORT quick movements, this technique is for small adjustments not large distances
- The inside skate should be scraping the ice surface (making snow) while moving